Skip to main content

Featured Post

Now blogging over at Onemanmanyplans.com.au

It's been real, thanks Blogger! Hey thanks for checking out this page! After 10 years of posting here and over 600 posts, it's time to try something new at over possibly greener pastures. Which means you can now find me and all my random adventuring ways over at One Man Many Plans . 

The need for weed (killer)

A few household items combined to make a homemade weed and grass killer. In the immortal words of automotive journalist Jeremy Clarkson, 'What could possibly go wrong?'

Safety first!

Out the back of casa del Almigo the lawn is so lush, the dog gets lost in it daily and a bunch of amazons have moved in. While I could handle that if they remained within the lawn boundaries, the problem is the grass spreading over EVERYTHING. Seriously the last time I mowed it, I found a Mitsubishi Starion near the bbq.

Luckily the internet helps those who helps themselves and after a quick Google (wow, that actually sounds dirty) I had 2 home made weed killing recipes ready to go that I had poured on an unwanted section of grass infected bricks for scientific purposes.

RECIPE NUMBER 1: HOME MADE POISON WEED FEED

1L vinegar
1 cup salt

A couple of drops of dishwashing liquid

This would actually make a titanic load of anti weed water so I cut it back (namely I didn't have that much vinegar to spare) to 1/4 ingredients and mixed them in a very scientific plastic cup:

Cheers!
After making the kitchen smell of the cleanest packet of salt and vinegar chips you've ever seen, I found a great section of the backyard that needed to be 'purged' of the evil 'hell grass' that currently infests my entertainment area.
There be bricks in there somewhere...
After a good soaking in poison weed feed, I venture back into the kitchen to prepare Home Made Weed Killer #2.

RECIPE NUMBER 2: MASSIVE ATTACKER WEED AND GRASS WACKER

A complex recipe that includes the following:

Boiling water.

Yep, just boiling water. Boil some up, pour on grass. Wait a couple of days. So I did. I poured the boiling water right next to the doused section to compare the two techniques after a couple of days. And the good news is...



THEY BOTH WORK!

The only difference is that the first recipe leaves a lot of salt all over the ground (and now the grass smells very clean and sour at the same time) and the boiling water is actually a lot cheaper than constantly buying vinegar and salt.
The remaining salt will probably kill anything that attempts to return a lot better than the water did though.

Success!

Now to find a recipe for self mowing grass...

Comments

Popular Posts